Thursday, July 18, 2013

My best friend

I reuinited with my sweet dog Georgia !! At first I thought that it was one of her babies from November but then I saw the little scar on her nose and knew it was my old girl!! She was so skinny, ribs showing, not one ounce of fat on her body. I gave her a bath with my lemon and honey soap and put a ribbon around her neck et voila! The cutest little mama in North Maragoli! She is always very close to me and people in the village find it very strange to see me walking around with a dog by my side. Dogs around here are not pets but working animals. Georgia is both. She is my guard dog and loyal companion. I made her a bed in a basquet and put a small pillow covered with a towel. She curls in it just like a cat and loves the comfort. At night I bring her bed to my room and place it beside my bed. If I make any moves or sounds she immediately perks her ears and stares at me. I know that she would protect me with her life. The children at the school were afraid of her but they are getting to know her and see that she will not hurt them. It will be very hard to say goodbye but hopefully we will see each other next year. In the meantime we are making the best of it!! I need to get bones the next market day and I plan to treat her and some of her friends to a feast! The place where she was staying before I came has another female dog and 3 beautiful little puppies!! I need to restrain myself, one dog is enough and I am too busy to deal with small puppies.
This weekend I will looking for goats. I have been asking around and I have a couple to visit. It is really difficult to find good milk goats in this area. Most of them are raised for meat only. Otherwise, I have been busy going to the hospital with children and today with Grace, George's mother, who will need to have a surgery. She is extremely weak at this time and I hope that all will go well. George has been a wonderful son as always and it is such a pleasure to have him around. He has planted beautiful flower bushes around the school for me as promised and will do the same around my little rental bungalow.
I am in the process of reorganizing the administration of our school and trying to get in touch with the officials to register the school. I had to let go two of our staff but all ended well and no hard feelings. I find this part of my job very difficult but it needs to be done. I have paid most of the oustanding bills this week but will need to use my own funds to pay the staff and food for the month of August as I have no access to the bank account in Canada and our bank account here is almost depleated.
The yogurt kitchen is back in business and all is running well. The electrical bill had not been paid in time in May and the power was cut. Therefore the probiotic culture was lost and all operation had to stop. Hopefully it will not happen again!!!
We only have a small number of children attending the school at this time. The teachers strike is still on and our children are either too sick to come or under the assumption that our school is closed as well. The staff is making community visits to ensure that all is well. I have no idea when the local teachers will be back at work, negotiations with the government are not progressing. They have been on strike for almost a month at this time.
Went to Kisumu with 3 of the staff yesterday to get supplies and we had a great girls' day! I came to school this morning with special wistling lollipops for everyone!! The children were so happy!!
Please send me comments if you can, It is always so nice to hear from my Canadian friends.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Louise,
    So sorry to hear about your struggles. It's good to know that you have a loyal four legged companion to watch over you and keep you company. We've had some major computer failure in our home, so I'm sending this from work. We bought a new computer and now we're learning Windows 8, so we hope to be able to better follow you soon. We are thinking of you every day.
    All our love,
    Dan, Christa, Catrin, and Arlen xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch the children, teachers, and Louise sing and dance on July 15th - see videos links at the Muungano web site or paste link:

    http://www.muunganofoundation.ca/?page_id=86

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour Louise
    C'est chouette de pouvoir te lire, c'est Robert qui m'a envoyé le lien de ton blog par l'entremise de Claudette. Nous sommes très contents de voir que le projet, qui était à peine embryonnaire à notre époque, s'épanouit si bien !! Bravo pour tout ton travail (nous savons à quel point c'est demandant !) et transmets nos salutations aux gens que nous avons côtoyés s'ils sont encore auprès de toi (Luke, Emmanuel, etc..)
    Bonne continuation
    Geneviève et Julien (Mme Gen et Mr Jule !)

    ReplyDelete