Sunday, July 7, 2013

Habari!! I left Canada on July 5 and arrived in Nairobi on July 7 at 6:30 am. I was so tired when I arrived in Amsterdam that I splurged and rented a room right at the airport at the Yodel. It was fabulous! I would recommend it to anyone having a long lay over at the Amsterdam airport. The room was just a small cubicle but very cosy with a great bed and a shower. I woke up, had breakfast and was ready for the next stretch of the journey.  My friend was not able to meet me at the airport, he is really sick with pneumonia but I made it safely to my cheap little hotel in Nairobi. The staff as usual is very friendly and helpful and I had a great night sleep, 14 hours! I just woke up off and on to have a drink. I drank a big 1.5 litre of water throughout the night. I will be staying tonight as well and will either fly or take the bus tomorrow afternoon to my final destination. I am a bit concerned about taking the bus as my suitcases are very heavy to carry around and I need to purchase some food for the house as well. I will check on the price of the flight and the car rental to make it home. Everything seems to be a bit more expensive this year in Kenya. Both inflation and unemployment are quite high at this time. There is a teacher' strike on and it seems that it might be a long one. Both primary and secondary teachers are protesting against low wages and poor work conditions. Our little school of course is not affected as we are private. I guess it will mean a lot more kids running around in North Maragoli and I can expect many little visitors at my house and staring through the fence to check on Mama Louise. I will need to make sure that I have lots of candies for my friends!
The weather is quite cool at night and early morning but as usual it really warms up under the bright sunshine. I had my coffee on the little terasse of the hotel this morning facing the busy downtown street. Nothing has changed since last summer except for a big walking overpass connecting the downtown with the university. I am planning to use it this afternoon to get a bit of exercise, and then back to bed for a mid day nap! I know life is hard in Africa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment