Friday, August 13, 2010

Tears of joy

Bonjour from Mbale,
I am here with the girls to purchase treats for our children. Tomorrow is the official opening for Muungano Special Ed. school. I am planning a party for the kids!
My little friend George is taking care of the entertainement. He has been rehearsing with his group of singers; dancers and drummers for the last week. We will have games and lots of sweet treats to share. I am planning to take tons of pictures. I invited some grown ups but I reminded them that this is a party for the little ones so no long speaches and so on......
It was great to return to North Maragoli after another 10 hour bus ride. I saw baboons on the side of the road as we reached the rift valley area. What a sight! Time has been going so fast since my return. I have been really busy with the finishing of the construction of the classrooms and ordering supplies and furniture. I am also visiting all the homes of the children who are registered with us. I was pleased to discover that the majority of them are living in a fairly clean and loving home. The rest really need to be in residence with us and I hope that we will be able to build the dorm very soon. I went to feed John and Alex with our wonderful Kenyan volunteers Maggie and Lavendah. These girls have done an amazing job. They go twice a day to feed them a very high protein meal and the changes in the last three weeks is quite noticable mostly with Alex. He is now growing tuffs of dark hair on his head and is able to walk without the assistance of his brother. I just sat and cried for a while.... So happy to be a witness to this miracle. Our little one with cerebral palsy is also gaining strenght, I will go and purchase a special chair for her so that she can be supported when in a seating position. I went to visit Shawna as well. The surgery on her eyes has been successful and she only needs some post care. She has amazing eyes this girl! Our volunteer Zipporah is working really hard with our children who are HIV positive and I know that we will be able to help many more others in the community through her contacts.
Only 12 days before I return to Canada....... I am really starting to miss green salads!! The fruits and vegetables are hard to find at this time, it is planting season but I am managing ok with Ougali and beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment