Friday, August 6, 2010

KIBERA

Bonjour vous tous,
I am still in Nairobi as it was not safe for me to travel yesterday morning. I will be leaving tomorrow to return to North Maragoli as I could not find a bus for today. The team left safely for their return to Canada at 6am yesterday morning. I was happy to connect with Emmanuel and Josh (Kenyan volunteer and Canadian student) who were staying in Nairobi for a couple of days. We spent the day in Kibera. It is the second biggest slum in the world with over 1 million people living side by side in cardboard and mud shacks. No sewer system and limited access to clean water..... It is so amazing that it is located so close to a very prosperous part of Nairobi. The difference between the rich and desperately poor is so striking..... I spent the afternoon holding a 4 week old orphan baby girl named Chantel. She gave me the biggest smiles and fell asleep in my arms. An angel living very far away from paradise......A seed was planted in my heart and I hope that Muungano will be able to reach out and help some of these little ones in the near future.
All has been very peaceful in the city since the outcome of the referendum. Most Kenyans are really happy and hopeful that the new constitution will make the changes necessary to end corruption at the government level and promote education and economic growth. I am personally hoping that some grant money will be allocated for special education as promised by the political leaders. We will begin writing proposal before I return to Canada. The classrooms are simply beautiful, I can't wait to show you the pictures of the mural and blackboards that a local artist in the community created for interior walls. I will purchase some card stock in Kisumu and will have the kids print their hands and Isaac (the local artist) will help decorate them. Hopefully we will be able to sell them as a fundraiser in Canada.
Isaac has also agreed to work as a volunteer with the school and he will do art therapy with our children. I am so glad that I discovered him this summer!! He knew exactly what I had in mind for the art work and blackboards. I am also thinking of building a small tree house on opposite side of the classrooms. We have a bit of wood and other stuff left over and I know that the kids would love it.
I will send you more news from North Maragoli next week. Wish me courage and strength to complete all necessary work before I need to return to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment