Tuesday, July 20, 2010

HIPPOS

greetings everyone!
the internet was down for many days I am thankful that I am able to connect with all of you today. Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I spent the day in Kisumu with the team and my little friend George. We took a small boat on lake Victoria and we saw a family of hippos! It is the first time that I see hippos in lake Victoria. I bought George a pair of runners for his birthday and he was delighted. His first pair of new runners. His leg is doing very well and we are invited to his house for dinner tonight. We purchased a coucou this morning and took it to his mama's house. She will prepare it for us.
We had another long day at the local hospital yesterday...... The young girl who had eye surgery is doing well, she will have the operation on the other eye in two weeks. I am hoping that I will not be asked for more money...... I will take care of one more surgery this summer and no more as my budget for medical expenses is already spent. There is so much more that I could do if I had more funds..... It will have to wait until next year.
It has been really difficult for me to take care of the construction as well as all of the other businesses but Andree has been so helpful. The rest of the team has left for Rwanda on Sunday, they are having a great trip there and we will connect with them again in Nairobi on Thursday for our trip to the coast. I will be returning to North Maragoli to take care of business and see the opening of the school on August 14. I will then go to Rwanda before returning to Canada. Ahuga is really busy with the coming referendum for the constitution. The vote will take place on August 4.
I am already making plans for next summer. I really need to organize a group of social workers who will go to each house in the 5 villages and make sure that no child is neglected or sick. I have been really touched by some of the cases that I was made aware of this summer.We will really need to build the dorm next year as many of the children will need to be care for by the school.I was looking for some foster care especially for two of them but it is very difficult to find anyone to take them into their homes.The local hospital has provided me with a special powder diet based on protein and vitamins for Alex and John who are severely sick due to malnutrition and for Catherine who has cerebral palsy and who suffers as well from severe malnutrition. I am trying not feel overwhelmed and take it one day at a time. The construction crew is great and very easy to work with, the work is really coming along.Jack who is the construction manager told me yesterday that they do not mind working very long hours because they are so proud to be working on such a good project.
I must end this post as I have errands to run before it is too late. I will write again in

1 comment:

  1. You sound very busy Mme B. We miss you very much and think of you often. Christa has "fired up" the monkey factory in anticipation of new orders in the school year. Dan has had a relatively injury free summer playing soccer, but recently lost his grandmother. She was 86.
    Can't wait to see you when you return.

    Griffiths family
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete